Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Avanti Fiberglass Door Repair

Avanti doors are notorious for cracking and outright breaks in the fiberglass. Almost every car I've worked on has needed extra reinforcing and fiberglass work on the doors. 

In my opinion, Studebaker did not adequately engineer the doors for the torque of the window regulators. Also the door opening stop is abrupt and this creates high stress fractures around the hinges where they bolt to the door. 

I believe had Studebaker stayed in business they would have addressed and corrected these issues. Because of the short run of Avanti production, they did not have the time to work out all the bugs in these cars.  

Photo Credits - GBZ

In the above picture, you can see where I've repaired and built up layered fiberglass areas on the inner panel.  


Doors tend to have weak points, not only on the inner panel area, but around the latch and front hanger hinges. In the above picture, you can see the steel flat straps that I've glued and riveted onto the inner panel.


Many of the earlier Avanti have problems in the surface of the door skins around the handle. In the above picture you can see where I've inserted and attached to the inner door a second metal strap support. This is in addition to the factory installed single support. This strap helps support the handle to prevent cracking around the holes where the handle bolts on. 


Above is a repair in the latch area. This area of the fiberglass often breaks in the sharp 90 degree cutout turn directly above the latch. I made a L shape steel insert that is hidden in the inner door and repaired the fiberglass.

4 comments:

  1. Different types of materials used for making doors are available at different rates. wholesale french doors are also a specific type of glass entry door which is also quite durable. These doors can be maintained in a simple manner and last for a longer period of time.
    Fiberglass exterior doors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the post! I've been looking for a quality fiberglass doors in Toronto, and this gave me some great insight! Thanks for sharing.
    Fiberglass entry doors

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that fiberglass doors come with different features for security and longevity. Those are really the first things I think about when I look at doors. Fiberglass, I've heard, can also help with energy efficiency. It's really an all-in-one sort of option.

    Gerald Vonberger | http://www.truaxnw.com/Fiberglass_door_choices.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your amazing services to repair inner door and the fiberglass and gate repair Houston. I really appreciate with you

    ReplyDelete